Mirabai Chanu | Weightlifting, Biography, Height, Net Worth
Mirabai Chanu’s Biography
Mirabai Chanu is a famous Indian weightlifter. Mirabai Chanu won the gold medal, India's third in the currently taking place CWG 2022, after lifting a total of 201 kg. At the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, she took home the silver medal in the Women's 49 kg division.
Mirabai Chanu’s full name is Saikhom Mirabai Chanu. Mirabai Chanu’s birthday is on 8 August 1994. Mirabai Chanu’s age is 28 years as of 2022. Mirabai Chanu’s birthplace is Nongpok Kakching, Manipur, India. Mirabai Chanu’s zodiac sign is Leo. Mirabai Chanu’s height is 1.50 m or 4’11 in inches. Mirabai Chanu’s religion is Sanamahism. Mirabai Chanu’s weight is 49 kgs.
Mirabai Chanu has won many medals in the Commonwealth Games and the World Championships. She received the Padma Shri from the Indian government for her services to the game. Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna, a sporting honour, was given to her by the Indian government in 2018.
At the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Mirabai Chanu took home the silver medal in the women's 48 kg weight division. She later broke the games record to win the gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast. Her greatest accomplishment before the 2020 Summer Olympics was winning the gold medal at the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships in Anaheim, California. She currently holds the 49 kg category Clean & Jerk world record.
Mei Iklaba Thamoi, a Shumang Leela based on the life of Mirabai Chanu, was released on September 19, 2021. It is directed by Shougrakpam Hemanta. Seuti Films has also announced a biographical Manipuri feature film about Mirabai Chanu. Manaobi MM will write the screenplay, while OC Meira will direct the film.
Mirabai Chanu’s Family and Mirabai Chanu’s Education
Mirabai Chanu’s father’s name is Saikhon Kriti Meitei and her mother’s name is Saikhom Ongbi Tombi Leima. Mirabai Chanu’s father is an employee at the Public Works Department and her mother is a shopkeeper. Mirabai Chanu has a brother whose name is Saikhon Sanatomba Meitei.
Mirabai Chanu also has two sisters whose names are Saikhom Rangita and Saikhon Shaya. Mirabai Chanu was born to a Meitei family, a warrior clan of that region. Chanu acknowledged that she is a Sanamahism adherent but said that she also worships Hindu gods and goddesses. She was just 12 when her family first noticed her strength. Her older brother struggled to even take up a large bundle of firewood to carry it home, but she could do it with ease.
Mirabai Chanu’s Career
Mirabai Chanu had wanted to be a weightlifter since she was a young child. She stated that Kunjarani Devi is her idol. When she was young, she witnessed Kunjarani Devi working out on television. Her game was incredibly alluring, and it's amazing how much weight she can lift. At a local weightlifting competition, Mirabai, then 11 years old, earned her first competitive gold medal.
At the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Mirabai Chanu made her first significant breakthrough when she won the silver medal in the 48 kg weight division.
Mirabai Chanu qualified for the women's 48 kg division of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. She was unable to finish the competition, though, because none of her three efforts at the clean & jerk section resulted in a successful lift.
During the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships in Anaheim, California, the United States, Mirabai Chanu set a competition record by lifting a total of 194 kg (85 kg snatch and 109 kg clean & jerk) to win the gold medal in the women's 48 kg division.
Mirabai Chanu won India's first gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games after lifting a total of 196 kilograms, including 86 kg in the snatch and 110 kg in the clean and jerk. She achieved her personal best performance in the process of winning the medal, breaking the competition's record for her weight category. With a total lift of 199 kg, a personal best, she just missed out on the bronze medal in the 49 kg category at the 2019 Asian Weightlifting Championships because her Snatch weight was lower than the third-place competitor, even though they both had identical totals.
Mirabai Chanu lifted a total of 201 kg (87 kg snatch and 114 kg clean and jerk) to place fourth at the 2019 World Weightlifting Championships. In the 49 kg division, this personal-best total also established a new national record. Four months later, she set a new personal best when she won the 49 kg gold medal at the 2020 Senior National Weightlifting Championships by lifting 203 kg (88 kg in snatch and 115 kg in clean and jerk).
After lifting 86 kg in the snatch and 119 kg in the clean and jerk for a combined total of 205 kg, Mirabai Chanu earned the bronze medal in the 2020 Asian Weightlifting Championships in Tashkent in April 2021. Chanu earned a spot in the 2020 Summer Olympics as the lone female weightlifter from India after she finished second in the 49 kg category of the Absolute Rankings in June 2021.
With a total lift of 202 kg, Mirabai Chanu won the silver medal in the 49 kg division at the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics. She did so to become the first weightlifter from India to do so, the second Indian weightlifter to do so after Karnam Malleswari, and the second Indian woman to do so after P. V. Sindhu. Chanu successfully lifted 115 kg in the clean and jerk, setting a new Olympic record. Her victory clinched India's first medal at the Olympics in Tokyo.
Following the Tokyo Olympics, Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh declared that Mirabai Chanu will get a reward of Rs. 1 crore. A 2 crore reward, a promotion, and other things were announced for her by Indian Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw.
Mirabai Chanu won the gold medal in the 49 kg division at the Birmingham, England-hosted 2022 Commonwealth Games. She performed snatch, clean, and jerks while lifting a total of 201 kg.
Mirabai Chanu's Controversies
Tisca Chopra Tweet
Weightlifter Mirabai Chanu received congratulations from actress Tisca Chopra after winning silver at the Tokyo Olympics. But she picked the wrong image in error. The internet community became enraged by this and started tormenting her for it. The actor has already deleted the tweet and offered her regrets. In the congratulations letter, Chopra utilised the image of Indonesian weightlifter Aisah Windy Cantika rather than Chanu's.
The weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu, who earned India a silver medal at the Olympics in Tokyo, was mocked in a nasty cartoon published by the contentious newspaper Dainik Bhaskar that Congress pushed. Reflective of its own uniqueness, Congress once more found a reason to criticize the Modi administration using the athlete's accomplishments as justification.
With its offensive remarks, the opposition shamefully mocked the Olympic winner. Congress made remarks about the Olympic athlete's weight in addition to focusing on her accomplishments. Randeep Surjewala, the chief spokesperson for the Congress, retweeted a highly crude and disparaging cartoon from the Dainik Bhaskar with the title Mehengai Maar Gayi in order to criticise the Modi administration over the growing price of petrol.
Mirabai Chanu’s Net Worth
Mirabai Chanu’s net worth is $0.7 million US or 5 crore rupees, as of 2022. Mirabai Chanu earns the majority of her money from personal investments and brand sponsorships. For winning the gold medal at the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships, she also received 20 lakh from the Government of Manipur, 50 lakh from the Government of India, and 1 crore from the Government of Manipur.
Mirabai Chanu's Awards and Achievements
Mirabai Chanu's Awards and Rewards
- 2018: Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna
- 2018: Padma Shri
- ₹1 crore (US$130,000) rupees from BYJU'S
- ₹50 lakh (US$63,000) from the Government of India.
- ₹1 crore (US$130,000) from the Government of Manipur, and appointment as Additional Superintendent of Police (Sports) in the Manipur State Police.
- ₹2 crore (US$250,000) from the Ministry of Railways (India) and promotion in the Northeast Frontier Railway.
- ₹50 lakh (US$63,000) from the Board of Control for Cricket in India
- ₹40 lakh (US$50,000) from the Indian Olympic Association.
- ₹20 lakh (US$25,000) from the Government of Manipur for the gold medal in the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships.
- ₹10 lakh (US$13,000) from the Government of Manipur for qualifying for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
- ₹25 lakh (US$31,000) from the Government of Manipur for participating in the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.
Mirabai Chanu’s Interesting Facts
- Mirabai Chanu’s full name is Saikhom Mirabai Chanu.
- After P.V. Sindhu, Mirabai Chanu is the second Indian woman and the first lifter to win an Olympic silver.
- Since Karnam Malleswari won the bronze medal in weightlifting at the Sydney, Olpympics. Mirabai Chanu is the only other Indian to have won a medal.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Padma Shri honours have both been given to Mirabai Chanu.
- Mirabai Chanu comes from a poor family.
- A Manipur-based production company has declared that a Mirabai Chanu biopic will be produced.
- Vijay Sharma, Mirabai Chanu's coach, was promoted within the railroads.
- After Mirabai Chanu, Mirabai Chanu is the second-oldest woman to receive an Olympic medal. At 29 years, Mirabai Chanu won the medal in London. Chanu performed this incredible accomplishment in Tokyo at 26 years old.
- Mirabai Chanu is sporting an earring made for the Olympic Ring that her mother gave her following the Rio Olympics.
- Kunjrani Devi is Mirabai Chanu’s idol.
- After the Olympics in Rio were a flop, Mirabai Chanu, who had built a success story in Tokyo, had to struggle with depression.
- Mirabai Chanu qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics by defeating her idol, weightlifter Kunjrani, in a qualifying round.
- Mirabai Chanu is also fond of dancing.
- Mirabai Chanu won the under-15 title in 11 years and the junior title in 17 years.