Anupam Kher | Biography, Career, Age, Net worth, Movies
Anupam Kher, an actor who has done more than 300 films and charmed audiences through his versatile roles. Anupam Kher has done many iconic roles in his career such as Dr. Dang of Karma, Principal Malhotra in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, and Malhotra in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.
Anupam Kher’s Age Anupam Kher’s Biography
Anupam Kher, an Indian actor and the former head of the Film and Television Institute of India, Anupam Kher's birthdate is 7 March 1955. Anupam Kher’s father is Pushkar Nath Kher. Anupam Kher’s mother is Dulari Kher. Aumpam Kher’s wife is Kirron Kher. Anupam Kher’s stepson is Sikander Kher. More than 500 films, mostly in Hindi, and numerous plays have included him. He has won eight Filmfare Awards and two National Film Awards. He holds the record for winning the Filmfare Award for Best Comedian five times for Ram Lakhan (1989), Lamhe (1991), Khel (1992), Darr (1993), and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. He also got the award for Best Supporting Actor for Vijay (1988) at Filmfare. Anupam Kher also twice received the National Film Award for Special Mention for his roles in Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara and Daddy.
He has worked in Hindi movies as well as movies from other countries, including the Golden Globe-nominated Bend It Like Beckham (2002), Ang Lee's Lust, Caution (2007), David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook (2012), and Anthony Maras' Hotel Mumbai (2019). He was nominated for a BAFTA for his supporting performance in the British sitcom The Boy With The Topknot (2018).
In the past, he presided over both India's National School of Drama and the Central Board of Film Certification. For his contributions to film and the arts, the Indian government awarded him the Padma Shri in 2004 and the Padma Bhushan in 2016.
In October 2017, Anupam Kher was chosen to lead the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII). Given his alleged promotion of Hindu nationalism and backing for the Bharatiya Janata Party, as well as his extended absence from FTII, his selection was contentious. He left his position as chairman of the FTII a year later, citing employment obligations for the American TV program New Amsterdam.
Talk To Similar Celebrities
Anupam Kher’s Family and Education
Anupam Kher was born on March 7th, 1955 in Shimla to a Kashmiri Pandit family. His mother, Dulari Kher, is a stay-at-home mom, while his father, Pushkar Nath Kher, worked as a clerk in the Himachal Pradesh forest department. He attended Simla's D. A. V. School for his education. He was enrolled in the Government College, Sanjauli at the Himachal Pradesh University in Shimla to study economics, but he left to enroll in the Panjab University in Chandigarh to study Indian theater. As of 2022, Apupam Kher ahe is 67 years.
Anupam Kher earned his diploma from the National School of Drama (NSD) in New Delhi in 1978. He played a number of early parts in plays presented at the Himachal Pradesh University. For a brief role in his first film as a director, Sheeshay ka Ghar, he served as a theater instructor at Raj Bisaria's Bharatendu Natya Akademi in Lucknow.
Anupam Kher’s Marriage with Kirron Kher
Before Anupam Kher and Kirron Kher fell in love with one another, both were married to someone else. In 1979, Anupam entered into an arranged marriage, but he was unhappy there. Additionally, Kirron was married for five years to Mumbai-based businessman Gautam Berry (1980-85). Together, they also had a son they called Sikandar.
Anupam Kher and Kirron Kher both belonged to the Chandigarh Theatre Group, which is where they first met. In 1980, Anupam, whose marriage was going through a difficult time, sought a confidante in his close friend Kirron. They used to travel extensively together for different plays and performances. Although they were close friends, they had no idea that their relationship would eventually develop romantically. In one of her interviews, Kirron discussed their friendship and stated: We were the greatest of friends when we both worked in theater in Chandigarh. He knew all there was to know about me, and I knew everything there was to know about him, even down to which female he planned to patao. We had a good time while cooperating well. However, other than friendship, there was no attraction of any kind.
In 1980, Kirron moved to Mumbai in search of a decent acting job, where she later met her first spouse. She had been dating him for a few weeks before they got married in 1980. When discussing her first marriage to Gautam Berry and how her love for Anupam had grown, she had said: Well, I arrived in Bombay, wed Gautam, and later learned that the marriage was simply not working. Anupam was married as well, but things didn't work out. We were still close friends and performed in plays together. We were traveling to Calcutta to see Nadira Babbar's show when I recall that he arrived looking different and had, I believe, shaved his head for a film he was working on. He turned to look at me as he was exiting the room, and something happened between us.
The two had accidentally fallen in love while going through a difficult time in their own life and were both actors who shared a passion for acting. The person who initially stated his feelings and then proposed to Kirron was Anupam. Kirron reminisced about the proposal, saying: He came and knocked on my door and said, I want to talk to you. I suppose I have fallen in love with you, he continued. The chemistry burst and there was this enormous, tremendous change all of a sudden. I wed him after getting a divorce.
However, Kirron Kher had also once said:In college, we used to refer to Anupam as the group's opening batsman since he was quite flirtatious and had a lot of girlfriends. We first became friends, and before I knew it, I fell in love with my best friend. Sabko hasaa hasaa kar phasaa deta tha... mujhe bhi waise hi phasaya..!
The two had fallen madly in love with each other following a passionate proposal from Anupam's side. The couple was married in 1985 after each of them granted their respective lovers a divorce. All of their shared theater buddies were present at the Gurgaon ceremony because it was a private event.
Anupam Kher Struggles
Anupam said that it was when he was a youngster that he first realized his affinity for performing in an interview with Humans Of Bombay. When I appeared in a play in ninth grade, I discovered my calling. They gave someone else my lines because I couldn't deliver them well. But he neglected to utter them throughout the play! I then made up something in my shaky English, and the audience laughed uncontrollably said he.
Anupam adored performing on stage and desired to become an actor. I came across an advertisement for a course in Chandigarh and the audition fee was Rs 100. I took it from my mother while pretexting that I was going on a picnic. Thank goodness I got in! So I moved there to further my acting studies. Before I saw an advertisement for a theater school in Mumbai, I had been teaching for two years, he claimed.
The actor relocated to the city of dreams, Mumbai but soon discovered that the theater school was cash-strapped. When I arrived, I saw that they were poor; they provided me with a small classroom and cramped lodging. I didn't want to repeat my mistake. So, while attending performances and trying out for roles, I taught there. It was difficult because I briefly had no work, money, or assistance. I had to sleep on platforms and live on beaches, he claimed. Anupam came close to giving up and going home at one point, but his grandfather stopped him and said, A man who's already drenched in water, shouldn't be afraid of rainfall. His perseverance paid off, and he was cast in Mahesh Bhatt's Saaraansh for his feature film debut.
His joy, however, was short-lived when he learned he had been replaced. Mahesh Bhatt confirmed it to be genuine when I called him. I made the decision to return home because I was unable to handle it. But first, I approached Mahesh Bhatt and informed him that he was mistaken in thinking that anyone else could perform the role as well as me. He noticed the fervor with which I wanted to act, so he told the producers that he wouldn't do the movie without me. I obtained my first film in this way He said.
Anupam Kher’s Movies and Career
Anupam Kher made his Bollywood acting debut in 1984's Saaransh, a drama film directed by Mahesh Bhatt in which he played a 65-year-old retired middle-class teacher who loses his son. Although the movie only had a modest box office success, Kher's performance was widely praised. For his depiction of the old father, he received numerous honors, including the Filmfare Award for Best Actor.
He proceeded to work on various other projects from 1985 through 1988. All of them had a mediocre level of success. The movie Daddy brought him widespread praise, with several reviewers describing it as his best performance up to that moment. Anupam Kher gained multiple accolades for both Daddy and Ram Lakhan.
Anupam Kher's First Movie: Saaransh (1984)
Along with his heartbroken wife, Parvati, retired headmaster BB Pradhan must face the sadness of the death of his only son in New York. The couple decides to rent a room without their son's money but quickly become embroiled in Sujata's tumultuous affairs, which has severe and far-reaching ramifications.
Anupam Kher, Rohini Hattangadi, Madan Jain, Nilu Phule, Suhas Bhalekar, and Soni Razdan feature in Mahesh Bhatt's 1984 Indian Hindi drama film Saaransh (English: The Gist), which was also produced in English as The Gist. It tells the story of an old Maharashtrian couple adjusting to the death of their only son while residing in Mumbai. Anupam Kher made his on-screen debut with this. Vasant Dev wrote the lyrics, and Ajit Verman composed the music. Rajshri Productions handled distribution. It was selected as India's official submission for the 1985 Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award, although it did not receive a nomination.
Anupam Kher's character, Michael, a terrorist who was being detained in state prison by his accomplices, pledges vengeance on Vishwa (Dilip Kumar), the jailer who was watching over him there. When the authorities are unable to stop Michael from killing Vishwa's grandchildren, Vishwa resolves the situation on his own. Vishwa launches a vigilante operation with three death row inmates whom he personally educates to become orderly fugitive hunters in order to exact revenge for the murder of his family.
Subhash Ghai's 1986 Bollywood action movie Karma stars Dilip Kumar, Nutan, Jackie Shroff, Anil Kapoor, Naseeruddin Shah, Sridevi, Poonam Dhillon, and Anupam Kher among its ensemble cast. Subhash Ghai and Dilip Kumar reunited in the movie following the success of their previous collaboration, Vidhaata (1982). The movie also marked Dilip Kumar's debut collaboration with renowned actress Nutan. It was the ninth highest-grossing Bollywood film of the decade and the highest-grossing Indian film of 1986.
Anupam Kher is remembered for his villainous character and dialogues in the movie.
Hum Aapke Hai Kaun (1994)
A 1994 Indian Hindi-language musical romantic drama film, also known as the initialism HAHK, was written and directed by Sooraj Barjatya and was made by Rajshri Productions. Hum Aapke Hain Koun! earned the National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment in addition to five Filmfare Awards, including Best Film, Best Director, and Best Actress. It has a long-lasting influence on Indian wedding festivities, which frequently feature songs and activities from the movie.
One of the highest-grossing films in Indian movie history, Hum Aapke Hain Koun! is credited with revolutionizing the nation's film industry. Even though Lata Mangeshkar, who performed more than 10 songs in the film, had long since stopped accepting prizes, the song Didi Tera Devar Deewana was so well-liked that year that she was given the Filmfare Special Award.
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
When Raj and Simran first meet, they instantly fall in love. Raj, however, follows Simran to India in an effort to win both her and her father over after learning that she has already made a vow to someone else.
The 1995 Indian Hindi-language musical romance film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, popularly known as the initialism DDLJ and subtitled The Big-Hearted Will Take the Bride, was written and directed by Aditya Chopra in his feature film debut. It was also produced by his father, Yash Chopra. The movie, which debuted on October 20, 1995, stars Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol.
On October 20, 1995, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge premiered at packed theaters all across the world. For the first week, every performance in every theater in Mumbai was entirely sold out, with one exception. Both NRIs and residents of India enjoyed the movie. The 720-seat Naz theater in San Francisco had to run a second performance that night since 1,000 people showed up for the initial performance. The movie played in the UK for more than a year. The Maratha Mandir cinema hall in Mumbai had been running since March 16, 2020, for a total of 1251 weeks (24 years).
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)
Anjali chooses to reunite her widowed father, Rahul, and his true love, who is also named Anjali, after reading the letter her mother had written for her before she passed away.
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, popularly known as KKHH or K2H2, is a 1998 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy-drama that was written and directed by Karan Johar and made by Dharma Productions. Along with Rani Mukerji, it features the well-known on-screen duo of Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol in the key roles.
Salman Khan makes a lengthy cameo appearance. Sana Saeed plays a supporting role as well. Two love triangles that occurred years apart are combined in the plot. The second half of the book relates the tale of a young widower's daughter who wants to reconnect with her father with his former best friend. The first half of the book is about friends on a college campus.
A Wednesday (2008)
A retired police commissioner named Prakash Rathod recalls one of his most memorable cases, in which a regular citizen alerted him to a bomb fear in Mumbai. The thriller movie A Wednesday!, which was released in 2008 in India in the Hindi language, was written and directed by Neeraj Pandey. It was also produced by Ronnie Screwvala, Anjum Rizvi, and Shital Bhatia for UTV Motion Pictures and Friday Filmworks.
Despite being a work of fiction, the script was partially inspired by the Mumbai train explosions on July 11, 2006. The only candidates for the lead roles are Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher, who star as characters on opposite ends of the system. The movie is about an about-to-retire police commissioner who recounts a series of incidents that happened on a specific Wednesday and is set between 2 pm and 6 pm on a Wednesday.
There is no written record because the episode only exists in his mind and the minds of others who were involved, both voluntarily and involuntarily, and how those events changed the lives of everyone who was involved.
A Wednesday became a cult film now.
Kucch Bhi Ho Sakta Hai (2014) (Tv Show)
Anupam Kher is the host of the 2014 Hindi-language chat program Kucch Bhi Ho Sakta Hai - The Anupam Kher Show, which airs on Colors TV in India. Every week a different celebrity is featured.
Shah Rukh Khan was the first actor to appear on the program. The debut season came to a close on September 21, 2014.
On August 2, 2015, the second season, starring Priyanka Chopra, debuted. On November 1st, 2015, the second season came to a close with Kajol Devgan in the season finale.
Anupam has covered every aspect of his road toward failure in the play, as well as how he overcame it and changed his destiny to achieve success. The show's message, Nothing is Impossible, encourages today's youngsters to take on tasks they perceive as out of their reach. A different celebrity is invited to the show every week. The celebrities reveal their viewers' hidden stories of failure and achievement as a result of Anupam's interactions with them.
The Kashmir Files (2022)
Krishna tries to determine why his parents were brutally murdered in Kashmir. He is astonished to see a web of deceptions and schemes surrounding the widespread genocide. Vivek Agnihotri is the author and director of the 2022 Hindi-language drama film The Kashmir Files..
The movie tells a made-up narrative. It was centered on the flight of Hindu Kashmiris from Indian-administrated Kashmir in the 1990s. It portrays the exodus and the circumstances leading up to it as a genocide, which is universally regarded by experts as false. According to the movie, there was a silent conspiracy to bury these facts.
Mithun Chakraborty, Anupam Kher, Darshan Kumar, and Pallavi Joshi are the cast members of The Kashmir Files. The movie, which cost between 15 crores (US$1.9 million) and 25 crores (US$3.1 million) to produce, had made 340.92 crores (US$43 million) as of 28 April 2022, making it the highest-grossing Hindi movie of the year.
Anupam Kher’s Career Timeline
Anupam Kher’s New and Upcoming movies
Gajendra Ahire is the director of the 2022 Bollywood drama film The Signature. Mahima Chaudhry and Anupam Kher play key roles in the film.
Bollywood drama Uunchai is helmed by Sooraj Barjatya. Amitabh Bachchan and Parineeti Chopra play key roles in the film. Anupam Kher, Neena Gupta, and Boman Irani are among the actors who appear in the movie.
Shiv Shastri Balboa
Ajayan Venugopalan directed the Bollywood drama film Shiv Shastri Balboa. Shiv Shastri Balboa stars Anupam Kher and Neena Gupta.
Anupam Kher’s Controversy
- In order to hide a voice acting dispute involving Kher's actress wife, Kirron Kher, the actor Kher was accused of threatening to damage the career of a Bengali movie actor.
- On Twitter, Naseeruddin Shah, and Anupam Kher got into a heated argument over the CAA (Citizenship Amendment Laws) act.
- Anupam remarked to Aamir Khan in response to his remark on intolerance Good day, @aamir khan. Did you inquire as to Kiran's preferred destination? Did you mention to her that this nation gave you the name AAMIR KHAN? . This has generated a lot of debate.
- Anupam Kher berated the 2010 award ceremonies. The Indian government then awarded Padma Bhushan to Anupam Kher in 2016. After these individuals referenced Anupam's tweet from 2010 and referred to Anupam as hypocritical.
- Anupam Kher participated in the film Accidental Prime Minister, which is based on the life of Manmohan Singh, the 13th Prime Minister of India. Because the movie is about a politician and politics, there have been significant concerns surrounding it.
Anupam Kher’s Net worth
Anupam Kher is thought to have a net worth of around 405 Crores. Additionally, Mr. Anupam Kher's net worth has increased by roughly 30% during the past several years. Additionally, he supports numerous brands, and personal investments and brand endorsements account for the majority of his revenue. Mr. Kher has significant net wealth, yet he also gives generously to charities.
His money is largely devoted to numerous charitable initiatives and campaigns. He also pays among the highest amounts of taxes in the nation. Anupam Sir is regarded as the most adaptable actor who has appeared in practically all movie genres and found success in each one. He is currently one of the highest-paid actors in the world after appearing in more than 500 movies.
Anupam Kher's automotive collection is Quite Average, therefore he may or may not be a car enthusiast. Anupam Kher is the owner of a select few exquisite luxury vehicles. Among them are BMW, Scorpio, and other brands.
Anupam Kher’s Awards & Nominations
- Filmfare Awards 1984 - Best Actor for Saaransh - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1986 - Best Supporting Actor for Janam - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1988 - Best Supporting Actor for Vijay - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1989 - Best Comedian for Ram Lakhan - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1990 - Best Supporting Actor for Dil - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1990 - Best Actor (Critics) for Daddy - Won
- National Film Awards 1990 - Special Jury Award for Daddy - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1991 - Best Supporting Actor for Saudagar - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1991 - Best Supporting Actor for Lamhe - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1991 - Best Comedian for Lamhe - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1991 - Best Comedian for Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1992 - Best Comedian for Khel - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1992 - Best Comedian for Shola Aur Shabnam - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1993 - Best Comedian for Darr - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1993 - Best Comedian for Shreemaan Aashique - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1994 - Best Supporting Actor for Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! - Nominated
- Screen Awards India 1994 - Best Supporting Actor for 1942: A Love Story - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1995 - Best Comedian for Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge - Won
- Filmfare Awards 1997 - Best Supporting Actor for Chaahat - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 1998 - Best Comedian for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - Nominated
- Screen Awards India 1999 - Best Comedian for Haseena Maan Jayegi - Won
- Filmfare Awards 2000 - Best Comedian for Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge - Nominated
- International Indian Film Academy Awards 2001 - Best Performance in a Comic Role for Mohabbatein - Nominated
- International Indian Film Academy Awards 2001 - Best Supporting Actor for Kya Kehna - Nominated
- National Film Awards 2005 - for Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara - Won
- Screen Awards India 2009 - Best Supporting Actor for A Wednesday - Nominated
- Filmfare Awards 2013 - Best Supporting Actor for Special 26 - Nominated
- Screen Actors Guild Awards 2013 - Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture for Silver Linings Playbook - Nominated
- International Indian Film Academy Awards 2014 - Best Supporting Actor for Special 26 - Nominated
- International Indian Film Academy Awards 2017 - Best Supporting Actor for M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story - Won
- Screen Awards India 2017 - Best Supporting Actor for M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story - Nominated
- British Academy Television Awards 2018 - Best Supporting Actor for The Boy With The Topknot - Nominated
- Screen Actors Guild Awards 2018 - Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture for The Big Sick - Nominated
- International Indian Film Academy Awards 2018 - for Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema - Won
Anupam Kher’s interesting facts and trivia.
- Anupam Kher had two marriages. His first union with Madhumalati ended in divorce. They split up as a result of their incompatibility and many problems. He wed Kirron Kher in 1985. Prior to this, Kirron was wed to Gautam Berry. Anupam Kher's stepson Sikander Kher.
- Anupam Kher made his Bollywood debut in the 1984 movie Saransh, in which he portrayed an elderly middle-class man who had lost his son in an airplane accident. Only 28 years old, he.
- Including Dil, DDLJ, MS Dhoni, Special 26, Hum Aapke Hai Kaun, Judwaa, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Karma, Lamhe, Ram Lakhan, and Darr, he has appeared in more than 500 Bollywood films.
- Do you know that even though he was paralyzed during the production of Hum Aapke Hai Kaun, he continued to work on the movie? He was filming the Sholay sequence when he receives a penalty for acting like Dharmendra during the antakshari at the time.
- He has garnered back-to-back 8 Filmfare Awards for different character parts and 5 Filmfare Awards for comedic roles.
- For his contributions to cinema and the arts, the Indian government honored him with the Padma Shri in 2004 and the Padma Bhushan in 2016.
- Anupam Kher is from a family of Kashmiri Pandits.